Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Getting Ahead of Breakfast

At our house we prefer to eat something besides cereal for breakfast.  That said, we have had cereal a lot lately as we have scurried out the door for school.  

When it comes to cooking, eating healthy is a big priority for me.  I make most things from scratch.  The truth is I don't have time to make pancakes from scratch on a school mornings, nor do I have time to wait for muffins to bake.

Today I made made up bags of our favorite pancake recipe so that I  can quickly add wet ingredients and get pancakes made for breakfast.  


I also made a big batch of  "6 Week Bran Muffins."  I put them in the freezer so that I can pull them out the night before we plan to eat them for breakfast.  

I am also planning to boil eggs ahead of time and I always try to have fruit on hand to add to each breakfast.  

6 Week Bran Muffins
(My sister-in-law, Shannon, shared this recipe with me, it has been a favorite for many years!) 

2 cups flour (I use fresh ground white wheat flour)
1 cup oats
1 cup wheat germ
3 cups sugar (I used 1 1/2 cups)
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups chopped nuts
4 eggs
1 cup oil (I used 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce)
1 quart buttermilk
1 25 oz. box Raisin Bran

Mix wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.  Mix together.  Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Store batter in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.  It makes about 3 dozen.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Daryl Hooele say either you're running ahead or running behind? We're always running, so it may as well be ahead. I bake and freeze a TON. Makes for possible sane moments in the future.

Susan

Related Posts with Thumbnails